Sunday, October 01, 2006

Top Spot



At the next meeting of the Purple Coat Club I will have the pleasure of introducing the work of Tracey Emin. Emin isn't part of my research but just one of those artists whose work never fails to engage my interest. Emin came up recently on this blog in a discussion around abortion. It struck me then that while her work does not portray medicine as such, it certainly engages with some themes and issues of interest. Abortion, rape, abuse, to name but an unpleasant few. Many have accused Emin of a kind of narcissistic self-interest in her work which goes no further than that. I've never taken that view myself for I believe she has much more to say. Anyway, on Thursday 5th October I will briefly introduce her work then show her film Top Spot which recently came out on DVD. Love her or hate her, everyone has a view on Emin, so I am looking forward to a live discussion after the viewing. See you there.

No comments: