Friday, February 03, 2006

My sister's keeper - Jodi Picoult

I'm so pleased I finally made it to a 'Purple Coat Club' meeting. Although I hadn't read the book that was being discussed I still immensely enjoyed the evening.

I have now read the book! It is a very gripping tale. Lots of cliff hangers and a day off today resulted in my inability to put the book down till 7am! I finally finished it this afternoon. Its no Shakespeare, it has been written for a wider audience to explore the modern advances in genetic engineering and about the long term consequences on a young girl who has been brought into this world genetically perfect to save her sister from a rare leukaemia.

It is very American. This opinion was voiced a few times last night. Some felt it was too forceful. Some completed hated Picoult's style. It is written from many different perspectives but the style of writing does not change significantly. This didn't bother me particularly.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book, I clung to every word through every tear (warning: keep a box of tissues handy!)
I recommend it highly to one and all, medics and non medics. Everyone was a child once, everyone has parents and so everyone can relate with this book.

Going to the meeting last night has renewed my lust for reading. It was interesting to read the book after yesterday's discussion. I could consider people's opinions as I read the book, it felt like I wasn't reading alone!

I'm now looking forward to Plath's 'The Bell Jar'.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for blogging this, Anjali. Gosh -- how heroic to read it all practically in one sitting! Thanks to everyone to who came along: it was a great evening. And thanks for the nice snacks Anna!

Taz said...

Having picked up the book again today after last night's meeting, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to keep a neutral view point and enjoy the story. Sadly, all I can think about is the way the author continuously bomards the reader with repetitive punch lines and chapters written almost specifically in what was agreed was an "American" style (sorry for generalising if you are from over the pond reading this). While it is still gripping (even though the overly-dramatic ending has now been revealed to me in all it's Hollywood glory: We All Live Happy Ever After and all that), it is difficult to stop myself from cringing at the end of every chapter. Still - a good way to get a complex moral web out there to the masses.

aj said...

Thursday was loads of fun! Thanks to all who came. Although we were critical of the book, I think we all secretly enjoyed it. Its no real surprise Picoult's new novel is top of the fiction charts at the moment. I think the way that the information was conveyed gives My Sister's Keeper a strong footing with laypeople, and is very readable for healthcare professionals too.

Looking forward to our busy schedule (which scarily takes us up to the end of our penultimate year at medical school...!)